Friday, August 21, 2009

Lost in Translation

If there is one physical aspect of my person that differentiates me from the Georgia locals it would be my distinct Australian Accent. I will be approached from half way across a crowded lecture theater and merely asked from where do i come. The people that I talk to surprisingly find me and my accent far more foreign and intriguing than I seem to find theirs. This unusual state of affairs boils down to the fact that I represent something different, and difference never fails to intrigue. The homogenization of American media throughout the world, in particular towards Australian mediums, means that I am already familiar to an American accent. This is the reason for my somewhat jaded opinion of American speech. However, Australian Media forms are quite rare t0 experience out of my home continent and hence I become a representation of difference. I plan on utilizing my niche to meet and socialize with my American counterparts.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever met another foreign exchange undergrad at UGA. Is it common? How did you end up here? And, the usual question: How does Athens differ from what you expected to find? In any case, we're happy you are here and in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although it is quite small program at UGA, there are other exchange students. Personally I have met around 20 people from Australia, Europe and Asia that started an exchange this semester.

    I chose UGA for a variety of reasons; the football atmosphere, well renowned Journalism/communications school, Lifestyle and most of all I wanted to experience something different, having lived in Asia and travelled through Europe already. I think the most surprising thing I have found about Athens is the intriguing balance between social and academic life. I am shocked when I hear and see people going downtown 4/5 times a week and still achieving good grades.

    I am thoroughly enjoying the class and my time here at UGA.

    ReplyDelete