Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Beginning

When traveling, some people see themselves as outsiders in an alien land. I prefer to look at myself as a cultural sponge, ready to absorb and adapt to any culture that I confront. As an Australian Exchange Student attending the University of Georgia, many aspects of day-to-day life continue to enthrall me. During my time in sunny Athens, I will strive to explore and understand the intricate subtleties of living in an American college town. My journey begins thus, exchanging my Boomerang for a football and my kangaroo for a Bulldog..

5 comments:

  1. Kangaroos and boomerangs.... very stereotypical. You dont look like the crocodile hunter. That would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute closing. I hope Athens proves to be at least an interesting experience...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean by culture? It's an easy word, slippery, overused, worn out. Think about the words you use (this is for everybody, of course). Be specific, precise. How important is word choice? (Again, these questions are not just for the Australian Bulldog, but for the whole class.)

    Something else for class. There is a grammatical error in this message. I will point these out in all blogs -- and you can point them out in my responses, for everyone makes them from time to time. The one here:

    In the sentence that begins "As an Australian exchange student..." the subject of the sentence needs to be "I." Anybody know why?

    ps. This is the first time I have ever posted to a blog, so I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Nate in that the idea of culture quickly becomes ambiguous and overused particularly in the context of travel. I think the culture I was trying to portray was the way of life for a typical UGA student; The social norms or accepted conventions that define how people interact with each other at UGA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a study abroad in New Zealand this summer, and I met a lot of your kinsmen while I was just a quick hop, skip, and a jump from home (ha- trust me, I know that jet lag feels). It's my goal to make it back over there for a trip to Australia next time, so I'm totally going to be stalking your blog!

    ReplyDelete