Monday, September 14, 2009

'Somebodies' Review

Although I thought the concepts and themes in 'Somebodies' had serious commercial potential, I would not argue that its' appeal spanned far from the traditional BET audience.

As a white, Australian college student, i found myself frequently questioning the authenticity of the characters and their interaction with each other. Either as a result of poor acting or thin character dialogue in the script, I was not fully engaged by the relationships and at times found the interrelation between characters visibly superficial. This was highlighted most by Scotty and Diva's relationship, which was at times dry and hard to believe.

Having said that, coming from Australia, I have never watched a program on BET and am thus unfamiliar with the style of its programs. However, I assume that if a culturally naive foreigner can question the credibility of character authenticity in the script, the average African-American BET viewer would do so even more severely.

No comments:

Post a Comment